“Obese?” I asked the doctor in disbelief. How could I be obese? I knew I was overweight, but there was no way that I was obese. But at 5 foot 7 inches tall and 215 pounds my BMI was greater than 30. Which meant obese.
What was even more disheartening was the report of high blood pressure and GERD (acid reflux). What I thought was going to be a quick check-up resulting in a “stronger-than-Tums” heartburn prescription turned into a life changing wake-up call.
When I left that day I knew I needed to lose weight. But there were two things — really a lack of these things — that were going to stop me: TIME and MONEY.
At the time, my daughter was 3 years old, I worked a job that paid barely over minimum wage, and I was a full-time college student carrying 18 credit hours a semester. There was no way I could afford a gym membership, let alone use it. So, I had to find a way to lose weight without the gym, and without taking up too much of my time.
If you can relate, read on and I’ll show you how you can lose weight without the confines of a gym membership.
With technology at our fingertips it is easier now than ever to gain access to resources to help you start your fitness journey. Probably the most obvious, apps are a great way to take and store those tools with you wherever you go.
But how do you know which ones to use? While there are a myriad of options, it’s best to start with the ones that offer FREE workouts to get you started.
Here are some of my favorites:
- THENX — “Thenx is designed to teach anyone the secret techniques and knowledge of body-weight training.” Specializing in calisthenics and tabata style programs, THENX workouts require no weights or equipment, and can be performed anywhere. The app features a library of free workouts that range from beginner, intermediate, and advanced depending on your fitness level.
- Transform with Chris and Heidi — “Over 20 years of combined nutrition, exercise, and mindset training, delivered to you in the most complete transformation app ever created.” Not only does the Transform App provide you with personalized daily workouts, it also helps with meal planning, menu guides, hydration tracking, and weekly motivation.
- SWORKIT — “No gym? No Equipment? No Time? No problem. We make it simple to workout at home or on the go. You choose the time — from 1 minute to 90 minutes — and we provide the variety, including strength training, stretching, cardio, yoga, and more.” SWORKIT also provides a free library of stretching and Pilates routines.
If you need more than just a library of workouts and are in need of a personal trainer or a structured program, affordable subscription or one-time cost plans exist. But before you scoff at the word affordable, you might need to change the way you think about the true cost of your current lifestyle.
Below are just a few programs that will cost you less than a cup of coffee a day:
- Jen Widerstrom — A trainer on the hit show, “The Biggest Loser”, Jen offers programs that start as low as $30. From workout plans to nutritional guidance and education, you can find everything you need to transform your life.
- Athlean Xero — “ATHLEAN XERO is an intense all out body-weight assault, requiring absolutely no equipment. You literally need your own body and that’s it, making it possible to perform these workouts any where at any time.” There is also a a meal plan that accompanies the workouts. Athlean Xero is for those with intermediate to advanced experience working out, so if you are just starting out you might want to try a different program first.
- UNDERSUN — The name says it all. Undersun embraces the idea to have “the freedom to workout wherever and whenever you want”. Undersun incorporates tabata, HITT, and resistance bands to give you a complete total body workout that will burn fat and tone muscle.
When I started my weight-loss journey, this was the method I chose. At the time it was with a series of DVDs, but since then, the at-home workout programs have evolved into streaming services. However, there are some companies that still provide both.
BEACHBODY is a corporation that does just that. With various programs that are contained on a series of DVD’s and booklets (these include meal prep ideas, calorie intake guides, recipes to help keep healthy eating fun) to Beachbody On Demand, there is something for everyone.
So, whether you start with a short run in the park, a hike through the woods, a bike ride on the beach, or something completely different, JUST START. It took over a year for me to lose 70 pounds, but I did it. Fitness is a journey, not a destination.
What are you waiting for? Break free of those gym walls and take the first step to lose weight today.