Flat abs are the Holy Grail of every fitness enthusiast and ‘How do I get a flat stomach?’ is one of the most frequently asked questions in the fitness industry. But while a tight tummy is on almost everybody’s list of fitness goals, achieving a flat stomach can seem like an unattainable goal if you’re doing the same old crunches day in and day out.
But don’t worry, getting a lean midsection is within reach. All you need is the right combination of eating properly, doing a variety of exercises and making some small lifestyle changes that will give you long-term results.
We’ve put together a simple and easy flat belly plan that will give you tight abs and helps you to make your tummy smaller. Keep in mind though, there is no such thing as spot fat reduction and if you want to slim down your midsection, you have to cut down on your overall body fat while creating that coveted six-pack with the right exercises.
HERE ARE OUR TOP 18 FLAT TUMMY TIPS.
#1 MAKE SURE TO STAY PROPERLY HYDRATED ALL THROUGHOUT THE DAY AND DRINK A GLASS OF WATER AT LEAST 30 MINUTES BEFORE YOU EAT.
Water will help your digestion and reduce belly bloating, it temporarily increases your metabolic rate and it makes you feel fuller, so you reduce the risk of overeating.
#2 STRENGTH TRAIN TO BUILD LEAN MUSCLE MASS AND ADD SOME CARDIO OR HIIT TRAINING
Lean muscles are much more metabolically active and give a boost to your metabolism, which will ultimately reduce your waist circumference. And add some cardio or HIIT training to burn more calories. And with HIIT you create that coveted after-burn effect, which means that you keep burning calories, even hours after you’ve stopped working out.
#3 EAT MORE FIBER AND ADD PROBIOTICS
Fiber has been found to reduce the risk of developing fat around your midsection. And probiotics build up the good kind of gut flora that has been shown to be effective in reducing your waist line.
#4 FATTEN UP WITH MONOUNSATURATED FATS
Eat more monounsaturated fats like you find in avocados, nuts and olives because fat is filling and adds tons of flavor to your meals.
#5 ADD APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
Adding Apple Cider Vinegar to your daily diet helps to reduce overall body fat and slash your waistline. Mix one tablespoon of ACV with 8 ounces of water, the juice of a lemon, a dash of pink Himalayan salt and Cayenne pepper and a handful of berries for your homemade, fat-burning sports drink.
#6 REDUCE STRESS AND MAKE SURE TO GET ENOUGH SLEEP
Stress triggers the production of cortisol and with that drives belly fat storage. And make sure to get enough sleep because lack of sleep has been directly linked to weight gain, especially around the midsection. Besides, being tired leads to poor food choices.
#7 CUT DOWN ON SUGAR AND AVOID LIQUID CALORIES. DRINK GREEN TEA INSTEAD.
#8 SHAKE YOUR SALT HABIT AND PUMP UP POTASSIUM.
Max out at 2,400 mg of sodium a day. While we need some sodium to function properly, too much can be bad for your health and also lead to fluid retention in your gut. At the same time, pump up potassium to de-puff your belly with potassium-rich foods like edamame, spinach and sweet potatoes.
#9 SNEAK IN EXTRA ACTIVITY INTO YOUR DAY
Extra activities like standing up when you are on the phone, parking a little further away or taking walking meetings will help you to get a flat stomach because every non-exercise activity increases the number of calories you burn throughout the day.
#10 EAT MORE PROTEIN
Protein can boost your metabolism, reduce appetite and help you with fat loss, especially around your midsection. The easiest way to add extra protein to your day is to drink a protein shake like our Red Magic with beets, dragon fruit, banana, water, almond milk and protein powder.
#11 KNOW YOUR SERVING SIZE AND TRY INTERMITTENT FASTING
A great tip is to use smaller plates and serve your meal on a side plate to stay on track. And research shows that intermittent fasting is effective in reducing tummy fat.
#12 COLOR YOUR PLATE
Fill your plate with colorful, low-calorie, nutrient-dense vegetables and fruits that are full of fiber and provide plenty of vitamins and minerals that help you to improve your metabolism and ultimately burn belly fat.
#13 STOP SIPPING FROM STRAWS
This helps to avoid swallowing gases and air. Of course, the main source of gas in our diet comes from carbonated drinks like soda, so swap those out with water to get a flatter stomach and avoid distention and bloating. On top of that, drinking through a straw, talking while you eat and chewing gum all can cause air to accumulate in your stomach, expanding your waistline.
#14 CUT DOWN ON ALCOHOL
#15 EAT MORE SINGLE-INGREDIENT FOODS
They are loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber, water and other useful nutrients and it’s very hard to over consume on them. Add more fruits, veggies, nuts, fish and unprocessed meat and you’ll see your belly fat melt away.
#16 FORGET JUNK FOOD AND LIMIT REFINED CARBS
This will you get powerful health benefits and a flat stomach. Less junk food means better metabolic health and reduced waist circumference, especially when you replace refined carbs with unprocessed, whole foods.
#17 KNOW YOUR TUMMY ANATOMY
There is more to flat abs than just crunches. Your abdominals include the rectus abdominus, the internal and external obliques and the transversus. So you need to work your abs from every angle to get the abs of your dreams.
#18 USE THE 10% RULE.
To see the flat abs you sculpted, you have to remove extra fat through diet and exercise. The majority of your workout should be focused on your entire body — especially large muscle groups — and only 10% of your time should be dedicated to ab work. Remember, there is no spot fat reduction.
PICK A HANDFUL OF OUR FLAT ABS EXERCISES TO CARVE OUT A SIX PACK.
#1 OBLIQUE STABILITY BALL WIPERS
Define your waist and focus on strength.
– Lie face-up on your mat, place the stability ball between your feet, lift both legs straight up towards the ceiling right above your hips and bring your arms out into a T, palms facing down.
– Squeeze the ball to keep it in place, pull your belly button towards the spine and lower both legs down to the right, stopping a couple of inches above the ground and keep your shoulder firmly planted on the floor.
– Bring the ball back to center and repeat the same to the left side to complete one rep. Repeat 12 to 16 reps and go for 3 to 4 sets.
#2 KNEE TUCK / V-UP COMBO
Challenge your balance and core stability while carving out your rectus abdominus, aka the six pack muscle.
– Start seated with your arms reaching forward, parallel to the floor, spine straight and abs tight.
– Lift your legs off the ground, keeping the knees bent and the shins parallel to the ground.
– Extend your legs and simultaneously lower your legs and upper body, hovering two inches above the ground.
– Perform a V-Up by simultaneously lifting your legs and upper body up, bringing your body into the shape of a V.
– Lower back down and next time you come up do a knee tuck, keeping the knees bent and making sure your heels stay in line with your knees.
– Keep alternating between knee tucks and V-Ups for 45 to 60 seconds.
#3 SIDE PLANK OBLIQUE SERIES
Flex, extend and rotate for a chiseled core.
– Start in a plank pose with your palms firmly planted right underneath your shoulders, abs tight, tailbone tucked, legs engaged and feet hip-width distance apart.
– With your core engaged at all times, bend your elbows and lower down into a push-up.
– Come back up to plank and immediately pull the left knee diagonally forward to touch your right elbow.
– As you extend the left leg back out, cross it over the right, shift your weight onto your right hand, open up to the left side and reach your left arm up straight up towards the ceiling to come to side plank.
– Still in side plank, lower your hips down hovering a couple of inches above the ground before lifting them back up even higher.
– Return back to plank pose and immediately lower down into another push-up. As you come back up to plank, repeat the same sequence to the other side. Repeat 8 to 12 times for 3 to 4 sets.
#4 STABILITY BALL V-UP PASS
Feel a burn like no other.
– Lie face-up on your mat with both legs stretched out in front of you and your arms reaching straight overhead holding the stability ball in your hands.
– Engage your abs and with one smooth move, lift your arms and legs into the air coming to a V-Up.
– Pass the ball from your hands to your feet, holding the ball between your ankles.
– Squeeze your thighs and feet together to hold the ball in place and lower your arms and legs — now with the ball between your feet — back down towards the ground, hovering about two inches above the ground.
– Lift your arms and legs simultaneously up again and hand the ball back over to your hands.
– Lower your arms and legs — with the ball between your hands — towards the ground to complete one rep. Repeat 10 to 12 reps for 3 to 4 sets.
#5 FOREARM PLANK HIP DIP
You will feel everything twisting with this powerful oblique exercise.
– Come to a forearm plank with your core engaged and body in one straight line from the heels to the crown of your head.
– Alternately dip the hips from side to side in a controlled motion, rotating them until they are about an inch off the ground on either side.
– Think about drawing a rainbow with your hips as you move from side to side and keep moving for 45 to 60 seconds.
#6 LEG LIFT SCISSORS
Hit your abs from the bottom and really feel the burn.
– Start in hollow hold position on your back with your head, neck and shoulders lifted off the ground and your legs stretched out in front of you, hovering a couple of inches above the floor.
– Bring your hands to the sides of your forehead (or underneath your butt if you have lower back issues).
– Scissor your legs as fast as you can and at the same time lift them up so your feet are stacked above the hips and scissor your legs back down.
– Go as fast as you can without losing form and repeat for 45 to 60 seconds.
#7 DEAD BUGS WITH RESISTANCE BAND
Strengthen your core and tone your abs.
– Lie face-up on your mat with your legs in tabletop position and wrap one end of the resistance band loop around the bottom of your feet and hold the other end of the loop with both hands shoulder-width distance apart right above your shoulder.
– Lift your head, neck and shoulders off the ground and pull the belly button towards the spine to come to your starting position.
– Exhale as you reach your arms back while extending the right foot in front of you.
– Inhale, come back to your starting position with your legs in table top and your arms above the shoulders. On your next exhale, extend the opposite leg while reaching the arms towards the back.
– Keep alternating legs for 45 to 60 seconds.
#8 AB WHEEL ROLLOUT
Get a super strong core and ripped abs.
– Kneel down and hold an ab wheel with both hands in front of you.
– Inhale and brace your core as you roll the wheel forward until you are about to touch the floor with your chest.
– On the exhale, squeeze your abs even more, bring the front of the pelvis and ribcage closer together and roll yourself back to the starting position think cat pose in yoga).
– Keep your abs tight all throughout the movement and go slowly. Repeat 8 to 12 times and go for 3 to 4 sets.
#9 OBLIQUE SINGLE LEG RAISE
Feel the burn with our FitFlavah signature move.
– Lie on your back with your left leg stretched out in front of you, hovering a couple of inches off the ground, right leg straight up towards the ceiling.
– Lift your head, neck and shoulders off the floor, bringing the right hand to the side of your forehead and extending the left arm behind you.
– Fire up your abs and lift your upper body, twisting to the right and touching the outside of your right foot with your left hand.
– Simultaneously lower the upper body to hover a few inches off the ground, left arm extending overhead and stack the right foot on the top of the left.
– Come back up and repeat 12 to 16 times before switching sides.
#10 STABILITY BALL PIKE UP
Fire up your core with a challenge for the balance.
– Start in plank pose with the top side of your feet resting on top of the stability ball. Keep your quads engaged, legs completely straight and your hips level.
– Engage your abs and lift your hips up towards the ceiling while pulling your feet towards your chest. The goal is to stack your hips over your shoulders.
– Hold pike position for a breath, then slowly roll the ball away with your feet and lower your hips to a plank pose with your body in one straight line. Repeat 8 to 12 reps and go for 3 to 4 sets.
Getting a flat stomach is a combination of a good diet, a good training program, good genes and good lifestyle choices. Incorporate some of the above tips into your daily routine and you will get to see your six pack sooner rather than later.
MAKE HEALTHY CHOICES FOR A FLAT TUMMY
Joschi & Monika