Everything is the effect of food. Eaten food turns into “brandy” (that which produces a deleterious effect on a person’s awareness) in the body. These effects are directly linked with spiritual awareness. Heavy or excessive food decreases spiritual and mental awareness.Even pure vegetarian food has this effect but to a lesser degree. Rich and sweet foods are not considered good foods because they increase these harmful effects. But people turn these principles around for their own convenience.
- Non-vegetarian food is gross, heavy & coarse and does not allow the development of one’s spiritual intellect.
- If you want to progress in spiritually you must eat vegetarian food, which is light and does not create intoxication. It also helps in increasing awareness. In general people have no awareness whatsoever!
- Eating meat creates a dense covering over the Soul. For one to understand this Gnan (knowledge), a pure vegetarian diet is required, because the coverings from the vegetarian diet are comparatively thin, so one is able to maintain a higher awareness.
- Violence is something that is completely the opposite of peace, whether it is internal or external peace. Therefore, to maintain peace, one should maintain complete non-violence. Param Pujya Dada Bhagwan states the definition of non-violence is, “To maintain the awareness of not hurting any living being, even to the slightest degree, through one’s mind, speech, and actions.” When this principle remains firm in your belief and awareness then you will be able to progress spiritually. This constant awareness can be attained after Self Realization and with the blessings of the Gnani Purush.
- Many people also wonder how being a non-vegetarian is considered a form of violence. Param Pujya Dadashri responds, “The general rule is that you cannot destroy what you cannot create.” From this, we can understand that we should not take any living beings’ life because we cannot bring them back to life.